Wednesday, November 15, 2006

I'm officially a loser

It was inevitable I suppose. I was hoping to keep my joy unadulterated, my fantasy world intact. I didn't want to be one of those creepy anonymous losers in cyberspace(quite possibly my least favorite word) ranting about minute details in their favorite TV series. I wanted to be one of those creepy anonymous losers ranting about TV shows that aren;t their favorite. A cultural critic, not an angry fan. But they finally got me. It didn't take long, I'll admit, but they got me. I could resist. I could let it go. I could try to forget about the large hunk of Splenda shoved up my ass over and over again that was last night's episode of the Gilmore Girls. I have maintained for a while now that I can't comment objectively on the show. Whenever anyone asked me if I thought that the show had "jumped the shark" (a phrase that's up there with cyberspace in my mind) I would answer that I didn't know. It was definitely weird but I couldn't help but think that they were going somewhere. I didn't really understand what the New York Times woman was talking about, but of course real TV critics get to watch these episodes weeks before we, regular people, do. But the cooing and the I love yous and fucking nonstop Chrisopher and Rory having these new friends who she would never like and there wasn't one witty well put together moment in the entire show. Some fucking hack douchebag who used to write and executive produce Dharma and Greg got to write the episode. He's most assuredly friends with the hack Claudia Schiffer obsessed douchebag who runs the show now. Even the long awaited return of Mrs. Kim couldn't give the show any life. I wanted to vomit the whole time but nothing came up.
I get it. I saw the preview for next week's episode. Luke is going to fight fucking Christopher over Lorelai. People in town aren't going to be happy that Lorelai married Christopher. Maybe this is all leading to Lorelai realizing that Christopher and this whole bizarre reconciling family values experiment that the show has been on lately are wrong. But it's no excuse. It's like my anarchist friends talking about how things have to get worse for them to get better. Society has to totally crumble before it can be rebuilt properly (maybe Bush is a closet anarchist). But, 1. that is bullshit and 2 this is a fucking TV show even if they are moving to the result that the majority of Gilmore fans want (Luke with Lorelai) it doesn't justify flaccid television. One week fine. Two weeks is pushing it, but this shit has been going on all season long.
Fuck you David Rosenthal and fuck you as well David Babcock. You have turned me into that Internet loser throwing out references that almost none of the 7 readers of this blog will get decrying the spiritual demise of a once great TV show.

2 Comments:

At 2:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Dan,
Mandy sent me your blog, and I've been dropping in for the last week or so. I'm not going to ask you how you felt about this week's episode, of course, but just want to chime in with a 'the fuck? about this season going down the toilet. I sometimes wonder if ASP ended the last season the way she did on purpose, like she is sitting on her papasan chair in her sun room, twiddling her thumbs like "hehehe! let's see how the Dharma & Greg guy writes his way out of THIS one."

and I can't believe you dig on the Grey too. I teach Thursday nights and found a place to download every single episode in excellent .avi quality. Let me know if you ever need an episode, you junkie. (me too)

 
At 12:15 AM, Blogger dr said...

Perhaps like Howard Roark, she would rather see the thing that she created be destroyed than watch it be finished by unskilled hands, but I suspect it tears her up to see how unbelieavably stupid something that came out of her has become.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home