Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Embrace your bad taste

I am so sick of people modifying their statements when they tell what TV shows they like. "you know a few months ago I would have never watched Lost but..." This is their way of telling you that they aren't the type of person that you must assume they are for watching a show or that the show is actually so much better than your preconceived notions about it. I, of course, am just as guilty of this as anyone else. I am always trying to explain my rabid Degrassi or Gilmore fixations to people. Basically, we spend our time apologizing to the world for hanging out outside of what we percieve our own demoraphic to be. I am not a teenage girl or even a woman for that matter so according to the marketing statistics that I haven't read I shouldn't be watching those shows...
Speaking of Lost.. I am getting increasingly agitated by people who gush over how great it is as if it is some sort of televisual high art. This goes back to my original point. Some people can't admit that they've been sucked into a compelling mystery show. They need to clarify that it isn't their weakness which brings them back every Wednesday. I haven't, in all fairness, seen Lost, but I have seen Six Degrees and if it is any indication of JJ Abrams talent level then the Lostheads are kidding themselves. I'm all for escapism on TV but the mystical New York where pretty people make fast friends is way too much for my disbelief to suspend itself. Everything is so contrived and New Agey with its chance meetings and spontaneous luck. And the narration would make anyone yearn for Meredith Grey's insipid self-absorbed nonsense. It's a shame because Campbell Scott and Hope Davis are so good in almost everything that they do. Of all the TV shows to pick, why this one? Of course, I have watched this show every week so, once again, I am guilty of apologizing for what I watch. But, unlike those other guilty pleasures, I am usually asking myself "Why the hell am i watching this?" while it's on

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home