Saturday, December 02, 2006

A question about the rules

I didn't post my viewing log yesterday. It's not that I had another heroic day of no TV. I did expose myself to that sweet radiation. But it was on DVD. I was convinced by sources unnamed that I shouldn't count DVD watching which may or may not be true to the experiment. But, I feel like I cheated. After all, the DVD was disc one of the second season of Grey's Anatomy. I didn't choose to put it on, but once something is playing on the box in my little apartment, I am helpless to do anything but watch. So, if anyone has any feedback as to whether this should count towards my weekly TV log, let me know cause I'm conflicted.
BTW, Grey's Anatomy isn't one of those shows that benefits from being watched on DVD. In fact, it just seems like a very strange flow. One minute, two characters will be discussing something scandalous, then suddenly it will go black, a swooping helicopter shot of Seattle is shown and then bam! the same two characters are discussing the same issue in a different room.

3 Comments:

At 7:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

DR,
I think that one of the factors we should be looking at when confronting your addiction is deliberacy. Taking the steps to buy or rent a DVD because you feel that it's viewing would bring you a particular and specific enterlightenment [patent pending] shows a kind of control over media, whereas sitting down on the couch and flipping around until you find something tolerable to pass some time watching shows the media's control over you. My verdict; TV on DVD is acceptable. It is also possible that I am taking this stance because I have an only slightly sub-jehovan addiction to TV shows on DVD.

 
At 6:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i dont think watching dvds count because, if you included those, then you would also have to include movies you watch on dvd. plus, as you point out in your post on grays anatomy, there are no commercials or other tv-related interruptions when watching something on dvd.

by the way, do you know that the reason commercials are louder than regular programming has nothing to do with the tv station turning up the volume, but that commercials are broadcast at one specific frequency that happens to be the most detectable by the human ear drum, whereas TV programming is emitted across a wide range of frequencies. this, for some reason, strikes me as very uncool.

 
At 5:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

catdogdanbear,

look, http://3rdarm.biz/ gave you a shoutout. because i advertise for you at at a targeted frequency.

katekat.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home